Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Vancity Baby

Yes, I completed the cross country drive. To tell you the truth, it was nowhere near as painful as I thought it was going to be. Ended up doing the whole drive solo.....yup, 5300km's logged. Rolled into Toronto for a couple of days as a stop over. Popped into the old office to update some old co-workers on what its like to drop the 9 to 5 for a backpack and an English Spanish dictionary. After spending a night with Ken & Karen and Steve & Jan, I rolled out with the boys to the old Maddy for a quick dust-up. Well, I guess I wouldn't call it quick. It ended up delaying my departure yet another day. Eventually rolled out the next morning and headed for Thunder Bay. As was my plan when I left Saint John, I told myself that I was just going to pull over and nap whenever I was tired. No real schedule. Didn't quite make it to ThunderBay that night, but found a cozy gas station just before there. Decided to spend the night there. Was figuring on an early morning given the sleeping conditions I had chosen (a crowded truck stop in a 1.6 Acura EL where the seat didn't really recline all that far due to do a stack of guitars in the backseat). To my surprise I actually slept in to almost 9:00. Still have a little of that hardened traveller's backbone I guess. I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful northern Ontario was. Lakes everywhere and amazing scenery. It is hard to believe that Lake Superior isn't an ocean....especially when you see some of those rocky cliffs. Didn't take any pics on the way through though as I was in full force driving mode. Not as hectic as those drives to PEI where Dad was scared of missing one of the 14 daily ferries, but a dedicated drive none the less.
----------------------------------------------------------

Rolled into the prairies and made stopovers in Winnipeg and Regina to check them out on the way through. Cool little towns. Stayed in a hostel in Winnipeg where the guy in the bunk above me had developed a snoring pattern that sounded like each breath he took was his last gasp of air on this fine planet. It took all of 3 mintues before he had a giant east coaster hanging over him shaking him awake, "Dude, I think you're choking".
-------------------------------------------------------------

After Winnipeg, hit up Regina and stayed with Thor's buddy Stoney. For all those who have never done the drive.....yes, the prairies are flat. Pretty cool to drive through. The most amazing part of the drive was where the prairies hit the Canadian Rockies. A pretty stellar site to see. In my opinion, the Canadian Rockies are one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world. When I hit Alberta, I stayed in Calgary for a couple of days and hung out with some of my surf buddies from Australia. I was extended an invitation to join them on one of those legendary houseboating weekends in Shuswap, BC (you can gather up about 20 people, rent a houseboat fully equipped with a kitchen, a water slide and a hot tub, and then hit a gorgeous lake with about 20 to 30 other boats), but I politely declined.
----------------------------------------------------------
I eventually rolled into Vancouver in time for the Cmac-Ryno 30th Bday Bash. And a Bday Bash it was. On his 30th birthday, every guy should have a group of beautiful drunken women congradulating him on surviving 30 years........well that, and a crazy cheese nacho dip on the deck at 6 in the morning with a couple of his best buddies.
----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here are some pics from the party. Toodles!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38349&l=a64cc&id=554250555

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't get into your facebook photo album & yes I'm logged on.
Do you have to be "my friend"?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Colin,
Yeah, I can't get it working either. Still trying to figure it out. These technical difficulties are killing me.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

colin; add me...or wait I'll add you....your not under "spock' or somethin are you??

I'm lookin for the damn signs!!

S

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home