Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Tubing in Laos

Spent a few days in Vang Vieng, Laos. Vang Veing is a cool little town known for its river tubing. You can rent a tube for $4 and then they take you to the top of the river and drop you off with your tube. Within 3 minutes, there are people along the side of the river trying to entice you to come for a drink in their bars along the side of the river. They all have these big long sticks that they hold out for you to grab so that they can pull you in. It's brillaint. The best part is that all these bars have these crazy zip lines and swing ropes that go out into the water. The local BeerLao costs you about 50 cents a beer and most of them throw in free shots of the local Lao Lao liquour. Mix them in with the swing ropes and zip lines, and it makes for a good afternoon. As with most of these countries, there's not much for safety standards here, but I guess that makes for all the more fun. I have tons of pics, but my pic site is no longer working (camera broke, day pack tore, pic site doesn't work.....think its time to pack it in on the trip!). I've posted a couple below though, and also have some videos.










We had so much fun that we stayed at the last bar too long, and ended up tubing down the river in the dark at the end. It turned out to be so much fun, that we did it again a couple of days later. Day 2 ended early though due to a little incident that my buddy Greg had. Thanks to the liquid courage, we had been doing backflips off the swing ropes. I challenged him to try doing a double backflip, which he did.....almost. When he came up out of the water, his nose was bleeding and I realized that it was no longer as straight as it once was. Turns out his knee hit his face and broke his nose. The best part was taking him to the hospital. I was in the 'emergency' room with him, and I still had a beer in my hand. Greg was a good sport though and let me video tape him getting his nose reset.



The first pic of me with all they kids was me playing my Laos song that I made. 'Sabadee' means hello in Laos. I went around singing a song, 'Sabadee, Sabadaa, SabaDingDong'. The locals ate it up. I don't know what the hell it meant, but it was a big hit. The kids in the pics look a little frightened though.



Anyway, I'm in London now, hanging out at Abi's place. Went for beers with my buddy Yann last night as well. Going to be back in Canada in a week! Talk to you all soon.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I can see the boat in Apolcalypse Now coming around the corner as your travelling down those zip lines.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Ha. Pat, sometimes it FEELS like that boat is coming around the corner. I tried emailing you 2 weeks ago. You still part of team Green???

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am. Moved to London though. Interested to hear about your apres trip plans....

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you lucky lucky bastard,,,i'm leaving and meeting you in loas....turn around, i wanna go tubing. where are you landing when you get back? you gonna pass the through the west at all?

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen my neighbour's dog? Has one eye, lost one ear, only has 3 legs and his tail is cut off. Goes by the name of "Lucky"

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs"

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never thought I would say this but frig the pictures....we want more VIDEOS!!!!

Stay cool, be nice and watch out for the spiders

Tara

3:39 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Slymon,
I will email my contacts there and have them reserve a tube for you. You can never be too careful when selecting a good floatation device.

Roll into TO this week. Heading back to NB for a while, but hoping to do the boarding season out west.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Colin, never spotted the dog named Lucky but did see a different one the other day. He only had 3 legs though. He put 3 down and carried the one......went by the name 'Arithmetic'.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Tara,
Yeah, the videos are cool eh. Think they may slow down the blog quite a bit, but hey, I'm back in civilization now with a real internet connection!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home