Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Island Hopping in Indo

Life is tough I tell you. As the title suggests, I have just spent the better part of a month hopping from island to island here in Indo, chasing down good surf spots. Indo has proven to be one of my favorite countries so far on this trip. Scenery is spectacular and exotic, beaches are awesome, everything is cheap as hell, and the surfing is crazy.

Makes for a good vacation.

One thing this place doesn't have though, is decent internet connections. The last place I got on, was actually going through the local fellow's cell phone somehow. Also, I am sad to say that the computer had a virsus and it corrupted our camera and so I wasn't able to upload any pics. Hopefully my buddy Sam (from Calgary, part of my crew from Byron Bay) will be able to sort things out when he gets to NZ so that I can get the pics later.

Indo is made up of over 17,500 islands and it is the 4th most populated country in the world, with over 220 million people. Most of the country is muslim, except for the main tourist area of Bali. This country could be one of the poorest ones that I have been to, which unfortunately is reflected in that the local people do everything they can to tourment tourists. The economy in a lot of these areas is based off extracting every dollar they can from the few tourists that are around. Travelling Indo is definitely not for the light at heart, and being a 6'5" white guy with a backpack doesn't help me much. I actually fell for my first big scam here, with a shady little fellow named Danny Boy who sold us an 'open ended return ticket'. I guess by 'open ended', he meant that you couldn't actually return with it. When we came back to get our money back, his fluent english had somehow evaporated into the sinlge phrase, "Not posseeble". Oooo Danny, you so smart. Thankfully we are technically millionaires here (1 Cdn$ worth about 8,000 Rps, so you actually take out $1.5M each time you hit the cash machines), so the scam only puts you out about 15 bucks. I just wish the money could have went to someone who needed more than him.

After leaving Dreamland (I love that name), we headed to another island in Bali, just to the east of the main island, to a spot called Nusa Lembongan. Two dollars and 50 cents will get you a primo hotel on the beach here. The coolest part here was that the surfing here was all reef breaks that you actually had to take a boat out to. The hotel owners father would drop us off out in the middle of the water, and we would tell him when we wanted him to come back and pick us up. On day one, we got to paddle into some of the biggest waves that I have ever seen. Picture laying on the floor and looking up at 12 feet of water getting ready to crash down on your head. Twas a pretty awesome display of Mother Nature at it's finest. We sat in the sidelines for a few, then finally tried our luck. I wouldn't exactly say that I got to ride many waves, as most of them rode me. When you crash in these things, they throw you in every direction and pull you under for a while. Nothing like that near drowning sensation to get the heart pumping. Sam still gets a good laugh from the image of me coming up from one, with my big long arm coming straight up out of the water and dramatically grasping for the board. Took in a little water on that one and had to pull off to the side to throw up some of that tastey Indian Ocean seawater. Mmmm. Don't know if I'm getting any better at surfing, but definitely getting better at crashing.

Have been eating like a king these days. The evenings usually consist of a big awesome meal and a couple of Bintangs (the local brew of choice......actually, the only brew). One of our 'menus' consisted of four different kinds of fish laying on the table and you get to choose which one you want. Allllright! Made for an awesome pic, but unfortunately, its been lost.

Anyway, that's all for now. Like I said, I'm pretty depressed about not having all those pics. If you want to see this place, you'll have to go to Google and do an 'image' search on Nusa Lembongan.

Talk to you soon.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well finally we hear from you!! I hate not being in touch...and I'll have to say I don't feel much better after that surfing/drowning explanation. I pray the Big Guy is looking out for you.

Sounds like you are having another great adventure.

We are in the middle of another snow storm...schools cancelled etc...WTF??? WHEN WILL IT EVER END!!!!

I hope you get the pics sorted out...was disappointed not see any with this blog. Anxious to see Indo and your new adventure.

Talk soon, Tara (couldn't log on as sis for some reason)

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan...

Soak up every second of being in Indonesia. I am TRULY envious! Drag about the photos, but hey--you lived it! The experiences are in your mind, at least, and not everything has to be a Kodak moment.

Nothing new here. W-a-i-t-i-n-g for Spring. Did one day on a Discovery channel docudrama where I got to work with a stunt coordinator who directed me & this puny Asian girl in a catfight: pushing, name-calling and hair pulling. Of course I won...heh..heh..heh...tho still had a few spectacular bruises...

Try to keep your head above water! Hugs......Yorga

1:39 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Tara,
Don't think that I'll be getting any pics...at least not for a few months. That really sucks, as I took a shitload of awesome ones. Gotta love the ones of me on my scooter with the surfboard and the exotic beach in the background. Ha! How's that for rubbing it in in re: to your recent snowfall.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Frisky!
Good to hear from you. I was getting worried. Good to hear that you are still in the biz. Yeah, Indo is awesome. Loving these beaches, but actually missign the snow a bit. Heading to Thailand soon. Not ready for the retreat place that you told me about, but may meet up with some friends at another spot up north. Looking forward to it!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

KyeGuy,
Good to hear from. Your Dad told me that you are doing awesome in hockey. I bet that you can probably skate faster then me and him already. Actually, it kind of looks like your Dad is sitting on the toilet when he skates.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Heidi,
I'm liking your new title. Have you been passing along tips to our cous Talia? My only tip from babysitting is the one hour rule. If you think that parents are going to be home within the hour, you don't have to change the diaper.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Colin,
I was just chatting with Mom and she mentioned that you made a whole entry in Chinese. I was wondering what the hell you were talking about when you asked if I understood your email. The problem is, is that the whole website looks like that for me when I log on over here in Indo, so I figured it was the computer! Ha.

PS - As I side note, no I didn't understand. Ha!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryno,

You've been tormenting us all for almost a year now... please come home - the couch in my basement misses you, the bbq misses you, and most of all, your 2007 Stanley Cup Champion Ottawa Senators miss you...

Come home "if you respect of me"

HA!!

Stinch

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"if you respect me".... i giggle just thinking about what you could mean...lol...i've got nothing to say really....i just found that really funny.

slyman

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snoop,
I had a chat with SmackDavidadinch and Jonesy the other night...jonesy insisted that you would never work again...i told him 'bologna'. you held down a couple jobs already!! I could see the effects of the night shift job you took in Byron. That was not easy as night shift and shift work really takes it toll on people.
Go Pens.
Aldy

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Ryan to fill you in... too funny...

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can only imagine....i may have heard that a time or two around town!!

yet another funny quote..."go pens"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Senz rule.

sly

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home