Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Gili Islands

After leaving Nusa Lembongan, my buddy Sam and I headed to Lombok Island, which is just west of Bali. Lombok is a lot less touristy and is part of the muslim area of Indonesia. After passing through Sigiggi, we then headed directly to the Gili Islands. Ended up spending some time at the Legend Bar on Gili Air and then moved to Gili Trawahan. Gili Air is a super chill spot with these awesome little hut thingys all along the beach. We pretty much lived like Kings there for 3 days. The fish there was awesome. One night our menu consisted of four fish sitting on the table and we just got to point to which one we wanted for dinner that night (had a pretty cool pic of it but lost it). We got a pretty good laugh out of it.

We hooked up with a cool Cdn/US couple named Trav and Jessie, and also a big group of locals from the Lazy Bar. That allowed us to get some of the local prices too which was nice. Once night we paid $2 which basically paid for all of us (7) to have a huge seafood feed. Not a bad deal.

The locals here absolutely love the guitar. Everytime I haul it out, they all crowd around and try to sing along to the main songs that they've heard. I was sitting in a small terminal building waiting for a ferry the other day and I played a song that one of the security guards had a CD of. I didn't realize it at first, but Sam noticed that when I stopped playing, he could still here them all singing in the background. They eventually flocked over and tried to talk me into playing over the PA system! Ha. How funny is that. The greatest part is, is that Guns N' Roses are HUGE here. As most of you know, I grew up on that stuff and can play pretty much every track. Good way to make friends. I had a cool video of me playing on the roof of a ferry with a bunch of locals on the way over to Nusa Lembongan. Was one of my favorite videos but unfortunately, I think that it may have been lost to that damn virus.

I love watching the local bands here.....some of them are awesome. The greatest part is that they don't have a clue what any of the lyrics are, but they still belt out the songs at full tilt. It is pretty funny to watch. I requested a Nirvana track and it was hilarious listening to what this guy thought the words were. Truthfully though, I probably couldn't tell you either.

After leaving the Gilis, we headed back to the southern part of Lombok island, to Kuta Lombok. Found some stellar surf here. The coolest part too, was how we got to the surf. We had to rent scooters, drive through some stellar scenery and some little villages, and then hire one of the local guys to take us out to the reef on their boat. Most of the guys would just sit in the boat and wait for us to finish but some of the younger ones would jump in and surf with us too.

One of the days there, we decided to take the bikes and head down the coast to see what else we could find. The drive basically consisted of cruising through these mountains and looking out over the coast. Everytime we saw a beach that looked nice, we would take the dirt track in to the village and see what it was like. Everyone of them were spectacular, and all were pretty secluded from tourists. You could tell because the locals were so stoked about seeing us. We had one giant group of school kids come running over at one point, but they were all interested only in our friend Jessie. I guess they aren't that used to seeing white girls.

When we left one of the villages, Jessie had realized that she lost the key to her bike somewhere along the way. Her boyfriend Trav and I decided to go back and take a look for it. As soon as people saw two white guys wondering around looking for something, the whole village came out to see what was going on. After we realized that we weren't going to find it, we decided to offer all the kids a cash reward if they found the 'cunchee' (the key). That got their attention pretty quickly. The parents also seemed to get pretty interested by it as well. I'll tell you, if those people didn't find it, then the key wasn't meant to be found. Unfortunately I had to head back to Kuta, so I don't know if they ever did find it.

Anyway, after leaving Lombok. I headed back to Bali and then flew to Jakarta. That was definitely a contrast to the peacefulness of Lombok. Almost 10 million people. The island of Java has about $130 million people on it and is considered to be the most densely populated island in the world. After a couple of days there, I caught a flight to Bangkok, Thailand, which is where I am now.

Unfortunately I have been sick in bed for the past 5 days, but hoping to be better soon. Will come up with a new plan once I start feeling better. Anyway, as I said before, Sam's camera got a virus, so the 350 pics that we took may be gone which really sucks. I guess that you'll have to use your imaginations!

Bye for now.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No pichers frum yu - no comment frum me cept get well sooon danialson
Confusous say man who sick in bed with itchy hole wake up with stinky finger.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,

I hope you are feeling better? That sucks big time when you are travelling and you get sick with no one you know near by!!

I may plan a trip to England...stay in touch,we could cross paths!!


stay signed, watch for the brave, and be calm

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha!!! Colin....you crack me up.

Ry, great talking with you on Saturday. Sucks that you have been under the weather but considering all the crazy food you have been eating I guess only getting sick a few times in almost a year is not too bad. I hope you recover quickly.

It's a hot one today...27 whoo hoo!! Went to the cottage on Saturday and sat on the deck...it was so hot we had to go inside!!! Still lots of ice in our cove but it won't last long with this weather.

Drop us a line and let us know how you're feeling.

Signs, brave, clam (ah, I mean calm)

Sis

8:02 AM  
Blogger The Sarcastic Mommy said...

Ry, hope you are feeling better soon, i can't imagine you being sick and no one to rub your hair??

We just got back from our one week kid free vacation, it was AWESOME! Had a blast, just relaxing in the sun.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Colin,
Given the long stretches that I've gone without a shower, I can probably verify your second comment!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Aldy,
Should be in UK in late May. Are you going to be expecting me to share rounds of drinks with you there as well?? Just need to know for budget purposes.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Tara,
Good to hear that weather has finally gotten decent. Seeing all the ice in the river must be pretty cool at this time of the year.

Feeling better these past 2 days. Fever gone, just stomach shit now. Woohoo!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Yes Heidi,
I am a baby and I DO need someone to play with my hair when I'm sick. Can you send Cory down here?

Nice work on the vacation. Did you booze your face off again like you used to do in University? I never told you, but your excessive boozing back then used to embarrass me.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't so much the booze that was embarassing it was when she tried to make out with random cousins ....oh and the way she danced....oh and the inevitable "i wuv you *hic* guys"....

my sister, keeping AA volunteers busy since 1995.

Sly

9:55 AM  
Blogger yourmom said...

Hi Ry Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Bet you needed your mama eh? Your mess on the weekend was very garbled so send me an email if you can. Love ya, Mom

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mac...

Indonesia sounded magical. Glad to hear the trip is proving to be the dream you anticipated. Hope you learned some GNR tunes in Indonesian (no pressure--ha!) to thrill us whenever you reappear on this continent! Downer about the sickness, but you can probably ask, "Where is the washroom?" in about a million languages by now...LOL...yorga

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ryno??? you still alive ????

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Ryan
Where the hell are you?
You have to keep us posted or we'll think you have been chopped up for Wonton Soup and Cum of Sum Yung Guy by those orientials.

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs"

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home