Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Bungy Jump

Mom and Dad, I figured that you may be interested in what I spent some of the Christmas money that you sent me on (Ha!!). Well, I decided to start the New Years off in style this year. On New Year's day I woke up early and went and did my first bungy jump. Ha!!! It was the Nevis jump. At approx. 450 feet, it is the highest jump in New Zealand and the 3rd highest in the world. As most of you know, I'm not that fond of heights, so I kind of kept my plans quiet because I wasn't sure that I was going to pull it off.

The Nevis jump is the one where a gondola takes you out to a pod that is suspended over a river in a giant valley. Both the gondola and the pod have see through floors, so its fair to say that you are rather petrified well before you get anywhere near jumping. I was in the middle of the pack (the jump according to weight, heaviest first). When they call out your name, you then have to go sit in the chair next to the open edge where you jump from. After they get your feet strapped up, they then waddle you over and out on to the 1 foot by 1 foot ledge that you have to jump off of. It could possibly be one of the scariest things I've ever done (its awesome watching people's faces when they are strapped up in the chair knowing that they are the next to go).

Anyway, the greatest part about it all, is I talked the guy into letting me tape my camera to my hand. I video taped the whole thing. Ha!!!! Be sure to check the first link first though, so you can see the pictures of how it all works. The second link is the video.

WARNING: This video may contain abusive language (sorry Mom). I promised myself that I wasn't going to swear on this video, but when you watch it, I think that you'll understand why. Hope it works! Ha.

Happy New Year folks.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8ab2nqp.66re4eil&x=1&y=-m5k31a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LDtlL7X58

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO...
Too Funny (Mother's comments).Dude, i was getting scared going through the pictures. Holding onto my desk and bracing myself. How can you be scared of heights? you have been 6'5" for 12 years now!!

Your pics of you getting ready kill me..that is totally your trying to be/look tough face (seen it a few times at JJ's) but meanwhile, you need Colin's toilet paper stuck to his shoulder for some cleaning up in the back..

Does your mom know that i am going to meet up with you? (Then we can do the really, really scary stuff!!) We could always plan to meet somewhere but pretend we had'nt planned it and then you could bump into someone...

I am really looking forward to getting out of Saudi for a much needed cultural change...i have recently met these girls from Ireland that are really cool!! I think i have to go there soon if there all anything like these two...wicked funny, amazing accent and really laid back.

Take it Easy!!

aldy

12:30 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Folks,
Having trouble getting on the internet these days. Have been camping up along the west coast of the south island. Scenery has been awesome and have been getting some great weather. Will try to do some replies when I get up to the North Island again.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unbelievable....i too am scared of heights and there is no way in hell i'd ever have the balls to even get close to the gondola for that....i'd be afraid someone would push me up there....

good on ya.....you and colin should start a crazy club...btw did you see any signs on the way down?? ick! no way no how!

good to see your having fun though :)

Sly

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a rush - head rush that is! You sounded just like me before & while I'm on a roller coaster. Melody loves them but I can only handle one or two a day at best. I have to keep screaming so I don't get sick!
Sky diving is the logical next step - you can't stop now, Ryan. Your mother will understand.

"Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait For The Signs"
It's been pretty good advice all along - hasn't it?

PS
If you believed my Polar Bear Dip story, I have some swamp land in Flordia for sale!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Colin,
I'm glad that you survived the polar dip. I'll tell you, they're not for me. I'd be too scared that the shrinkage would stick around. I jumped in the water here the other day and thought that I was going to have a heart attack.....and its not even that cold here.

Good to hear that the holidays went well. I don't know what that GPS thing is, but I think that I could definitely use one.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Slymon,
Ahhh, there was nothing to it. I thought that I was going to be scared shitless, but once you get up there, you are pretty ready for it. Twas a pretty awesome freefall, and the scenery was spectacular. Well, what I saw of it on the way down.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Don't worry Mom, no more bungy jumps for me for a while. I heard that the highest one in the world is in Asia though, so we may have to see about that one when I get there. Ha! I love your comments though! Always looking out for my safety!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Marion,
I can't believe that you guys are moving to the East coast already. Time flies I guess. I think that Philip will be pretty excited about it. I think that you guys should buy a cottage on the river close to ours.

Good to hear that the holidays went well!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Joe Cronk!

Ha!! Only you were refer to getting engaged as taking a shit. I love it! Congradulations bro. It is about time. Don't you know that there are no other girls out there that would actually stay with you. Ha! When you guys ride the same bike....does she make you ride bitch? Ha.

Heard the holidays were fun. Wish that I could have been there with you guys.

Congrats on the engagement.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Stinch,
Walsh is living in Singapore working for the Cdn government. Can't remember what the hell it was though. He was just on vacation in NZ with his wife. It didn't take us long to get caught up.

How are you feeling these days? Who's going to win the super bowl?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Aldy,
Ha!! Definitely the tough guy face. Well either that, or I was just too hungover to be scared.

Yeah, I say that we do the random bump in thing so that I can say that I met TWO people on the trip. Me and Aldy in Indonesia, when Aldy hasn't had any female contact in 4 months.....Mom, how's THAT for scary. Ha.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryno - nice work on the bungee jumping. Looks beautiful. I hate my life.

Aldy - Send photos of Irish girls...

Uncle Stinch

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home