Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Bolivian Salt Flats and Lagunas

Did a 3 day tour into Bolivia that started off in the Salt Flats in Uyuni. These are supposed to be one of the wonders of the world. It is basically a sea of salt....12000 square kilometres, and up to 6 meters deep.

We took a 4 x 4 Toyota Land Cruiser in. I unfortunately got stuck with 5 German girls on some kind of school trip. I know, doesn't sound like the end of the world, except for the fact that they would rather talk to a wall then actually include me in a conversation. I've never seen 5 individuals so frightened of another human being.....and trust me, I have definitely frightened off a few females in my time.

The scenery was spectacular. The first day we spent in the famous Salt Flats. Stopped for lunch on the island, which is exactly that....an island in the middle of a sea of salt. Its pretty cool....check the pics. We camped in these little stone lodges that were along the way, in the middle of nowhere. On Day 2, we got to stop in at a couple of Lagunas, including Laguna Colorado (altitude of 4300m). There were tons of wild astriches, and the scenery was something that I have never seen down here in S. America.

At night time, it got damn cold (minus -5), and the beds were real uncomfortable at our camp. When our guide came in to wake us up at 4:00am, its safe to say that I wasn't going on much sleep. Day 3 was actually the best though. We got to see all the steam holes from the undergroud lava, then we got to see Laguana Verde, which was my favorite one. It was amazing how tranquil it was in there. The lagoon was a bright green, and since it is poisonous, there were no wildlife around. Just silent air, with a giant red mountain in the background. We capped the morning off by hitting the natural hotsprings and then having breakfast. The tour ended up in Chile, in a little town called San Pedro de Atacama.

I bought myself a Manu Chao cassette, so that we wouldn't have to listen to that horid Bolivian music the whole time. The chicas did eventually end up speaking to me also...."Can you take a picture of us", "Can you open this for me", "Do you have batteries". Some exciting individuals they were.

Bolivia had some amazing scenery, and it is also one of the cheapest countries in S. America. Wish that I could have spent more time there. Did I mention how much I miss Central and South America already????? Time for a new adventure I guess. It is going to have to be quite the adjustment to get used to being back in the first world. The ridiculous hostel rules accompanied by ridiculous price tags! Ha. I just went out and bought myself some 2nd hand camping gear though, so should be heading for the hills soon. Heard its cold up there!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8ab2nqp.9sb5gmut&x=1&y=6lbw7h

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8ab2nqp.bpbj60ad&x=1&y=-obck9o

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those pictures of laguna verde are scrumtrilescent.

they seriously look like the desktop pictures that come for free on your computer. dammit...

oh and your style. still looking good. lip appears to have healed.

becca's grade: A-

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, thought I would say Hello. Its Papa. Your mother wouldn't wake me up tp talk to you for some reason or the other but she told me you were going to update your blog tonighnt. Iwas helping Greg today with his basement. Crackfilling but weare 90% done. He still needs alot of work to finish the basement but it is coming. Tara and Thor ore doing their basement for mr. I am up in Fredericton a couple of nights a week. it's a perfevct set up. My office is in Marysville about 20 minutes fron Fredericton so they gave me another office in the old Goverment Building. I use it early in the morning because it is to hard getting over to my regular office and back again for cabinet. I am Minister of Supply and Services but I am also Minister responsible for the Regional Development, a crown Corporation that handles many of the Federal Provincial Agreements. The other MLA'S like this role. I am also the Regional Minister Minister. Pat's job is to handle this end for me. dave handles the Saint John Issues and we all do a little bit of everything. It's fun so far but who knows what the future will bring. Stay in touch and stay safe. Papa

11:10 PM  
Blogger Baby on my mind said...

Ry!! What amazing pictures!!!When I see a new post I always look to the bottom to see if there are pictures because I love them so much. You are becoming quite the photographer!! Seems your camera is doing ok afterall. Love the pic of you covering your face due to sulfer smell (so clear), you in front of the beuatiful pink and mountainous background, and the one with you and the little girl...nice sunsets too...they are like little paintings, hard to believe that there are that many colours in real life!

Put our Christmas tree up yesterday and thought of you when I pulled out the snowman candle holders you bought for me years ago!! Feels like Christmas as we actually have some snow that came a week ago and has sayed around. Wish you were here but I can tell you, what your experienceing is once in a lifetime and needs to be enjoyed to the fullest...no need for home sickness, everything will be here when you return!! Thank God for this blog as it makes you so accessible and brings your trip to life for us.

Love you.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryno,

Was great to play "breaker, breaker" over Skype last night with ya - good to hear your voice.

I love the pics of laguna verde - reminds me a little of the rideau canal in Ottawa... OK, no it doesn't, but still - nice pics!

Sorry to hear that the hostel you're staying in has some stringent regs and rules - must be hell - I don't know how you cope with the "please don't make too much noise" and "please don't bury dead hookers in the back yard" -those fascists! - fight the power, bigg dogg!!

Stinch

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much salt and no salt shaker....how embarassing.

I feel for you buddy, alone travelling the world, going on fun adventures, ever managing the internet in your spare time....I hate my life...;) just kidding :)

lata skata
Sly

9:45 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Thanks miss Becca! Lip is slightly better, but still has a little puss. Mmmm. How do I get the A+.....ponytail?? Ha.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Dad,
How many offices do you have now....7??? (Tara, send me your pics if you can). Heard that you were working hard on Greg's basement. Hopefully you guys are putting a washroom in....I was getting tired of having to piss out the back door.

Good to hear that you have Pat back in the fold. We were worried while she was away.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Tara. Yeah, those pics were pretty cool eh. That was some of my most favorite scenery that I've seen so far. And, that kind of stuff went on forever. We drove for 2 days straight, and that's all we saw.

Good to hear that xmas is in full force. They aren't real huge on Christmas here for some reason.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Mom
Ha! I don't know if I am much of an artist, but anything that I DID get, I'm sure that I got from you. Twas nice talking to you the other night and yes, you are right, I do indeed have to treat this as a whole new adventure.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Stinch, good to hear that you survived your surgery. And yes, the laguna did kind of remind me of the Ottawa canal....except the water wasn't dead.....and jammed full of dead bodies.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Kimi,
I've already had to learn one language......German definitely isn't in the cards for me!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Slyman, sorry for not getting those midget pics up yet. I am working on it. Just sent an email to my friend to get them. Midgets wrestling in Bolivia.....how can you NOT love that. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Cousin Amanada,
Hey there! Good to hear from you! And not to worry, I'm sure that Bolivia is a grrrreat place for a family trip. Ha. Glad to see that you're checking in. Mom told me that Marlene is on here everyday too......Hey Marlene!!! Nice to see some of the MacIntyre's here too. Hope all is well in PEI.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

PS - Who was Muah anonymous from the last post???

9:22 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Heidi, yes indeed, it was a real snake. I wasn't real excited about holding it either, but after hiking through swamps for 3 hours, I felt like I had to do something. I can't believe that Marion and Philip are almost ready to retire!!! And in moncton...that's cool. Does that mean that you might be headind that way too? Marion, does this mean that you guys are going to come visit us at the cottage now?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Miss Jods,
Good to hear from you. Given that the water in the swamp was up to my chest.....a swamp trek in Bolivia may be a little taxing on you, and I'd recommend that you avoid it!

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan...

Wow! Definitely putting Bolivian Salt Flats on MY list of things to see before I croak. Desert + lunar landscape = very cool.

Some wicked pix, too. U definitely have an eye.

Just be present in your new NZ environs. Some of the best travelling I've done is when I've had the least cash--be open to the magic that 'anything can happen'. Since you speak the lingo here's the place to chat up locals...before you know it you'll be having experiences you couldn't have dreamed up.

Though watch out if they mention sheep...ha....Yorga

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan..

Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking.
What an adventure you are taking us on!
Yes I do check your blog daily. I am a government employee with the internet. Why wouldn't I?
Saw your Mom and Dad this weekend. I was a nervous wreck driving into your fair city with a standard car but I avoided any traffic lights that were located at the top a 45 degree slope....and here you are barelling down the side of a mountain on a bike. Ask me if I would do that!
Keep up the reports and let us old dolls live vicariously.
Later
Marlene

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Colin,
Nice to see that you're back! We missed your comments. I was lost without your advice.....I almost forgot what it was!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Miss Frisky,
Yes indeed, I have been working the locals here. Have definitely met some cool people. Looking forward to doing some camping. Hope that all is well with you in TO...are you going to stick around there?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey Marlene!
I too was once a government employee with the internet, so I believe you. Glad that you are able to check out all the pics of these places....they are pretty crazy spots. Good to hear that you made it safely through SJ in a standard.....I still haven't fully mastered the art of driving standard, but using the emergency brake is the trick!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Hey folks, sorry for the lack of posts. Blogger has decided to change its format, and it no longer is accepting my posts. I love when websites do this....it is so much fun. I'm looking forward to weeks of enjoyment, at the small cost of $5 bucks an hour.

Anyway, I'm currently done on the south island of NZ, staying with some students. Have got to check out some scenery and it is pretty awesome. May head back to Queenstown for Christmas, but not sure. Anyway, I'm sure that I'll be talking to you all soon.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home