Blogging Private Ryan

MY EMAIL: theryanfiles@yahoo.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

HockeyJackass is dedicated to entertainment. If you are just looking for stories about who won the game the night before, go check the scores. We're here to give you the underlying stories that matter. I also currently work for THESCORE providing play-by-play liveblogs of all your favorite teams. To get in touch with me, if you so desire: ryno@hockeyjackass.com.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Machu Picchu

An overpriced train ride, a Niagra Falls-like touristy town (Agnes Calientes), a steep price tag at the gate, and hoards of fat American tourists. Needless to say, I showed up at Machu Picchu in a relatively bad mood. Maybe it was deservidly so, given that I copped out on the 4 day Inca trail hike that is supposed to be standard procedure for the Machu Picchu experience. I did indeed feel guitly for not doing the hike, but as I told people here in Cusco.......if I had to do 4 straight days of hiking, I would most likely be writing my own eulogy right now as opposed to just another blog entry.

I have to say though, despite all that, I can´t imagine many other things in this world that are as amazing as Machu Picchu. It is actually even more spectacular than what you think it is. You really have to see how crazy all the cliffs are that surround it, to really appreciate what these people pulled off. And, it is absolutely huge, with unbelievable stone work. I thankfully was smart enough to show up nice and early (just before 6) so it wasn´t all that crowded for the first couple of hours. I spent a few hours up on the hill, overlooking the site, and listening to some tunes. Later in the day I went down with the rest of the tourists and trekked through the actual ruins. It is an amazing spot. I just couldn´t get over all the crazy giant mountains and the steep cliffs. Some of the trails were a little nerve wracking, given that a little slip would result in a pretty good ancient Inca fall off the side of the mountain. Historians say that the place was used for religious purposes and for ceromonies involving the King. Truthfully, I didn´t do a lot of research, and I didn´t use the tour guide, so your best bet to find out more would be to jump on the net.

Overall, I had an absolutely amazing day at Machu Picchu, I would highly recommend it to anyone. Although it is quite touristy, they have still managed to preserve its mystique. I have to apologize in advance because I got a little trigger happy with the camera when I was there, but I just want to make sure that I have somewhere to keep copies of all the pics I took.

Salud!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8ab2nqp.76lvss7h&x=1&y=f5u6x9

12 Comments:

Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Miss Heidi,
You´ll be happy to know that no, my lip has not pussed up and overcome my face. Please see pics for reassurance. Buenos Airies makes it difficult to sit in a computer lab.....I have been slack indeed!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Miss Kimi,
Yes, I am definitely not all that enthused about heights, but hey, what can you do?

English chicas didn´t come, but wish they did!!

Beard is from laziness. Gone now. Have a good wkd!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not "Salud"...SalAd...as in you like to toss salad....

i think the pic of the lone fern represents your feelings of loneliness and need to rebel in south america....or it could just be a bad focus job....

i need coffee.

Slyman.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snoop,

Nice work buddy, looks like you are having a ball. Looks like you have two for each one of them too!!

Dooger Sr....whats happening with the team. Tell Dave congrats on the job...can you leave your email on this blog so i can get it.

Saudi is cooler then i thought..also on the compound where my mom lives, apparently there is 200 single nurses looking for canadian FLAVOR!!

ALDY, OUT!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Slymon,
You´re smarter than you look.....but then again, I always thought that you looked retarded, so I guess that doesn´t say much.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Aldy....back in the hizzo!

What´s up snoop. Glad to see that you made it to Saudi. Hopefully that whole 200 nurse thing is the real deal. I would hate to have to hear about you switch hitting out of desperation.

I love nurses.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Mom,
I actually DID think of the stone walls at the cottage. I remember Dad talking about how much work they were. I can´t imagine how these people actually built this....it is awesome. And massive too. As for the banker thing.....this place makes it hard to remember how to wear the bankers hat!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Baby on my mind said...

Ry- great photos once again. What was with the naked guys? We finally get pics of men and all you can do is say "sorry, as close as I could get" with no further explanation as to why they were naked in the first place....come on....you have female readers too you know.

I don't blame you for not doing the hike...I think you can appreciate the site without it and still be able to stand afterward.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with your Mom..."...ex-banker"?...remember its a calling...current bankers continue to use you to live their lives vicariously...

9:51 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Tara,
Yeah, these guys just got the urge to get a naked picture in front of Machu Picchu while yelling, 'This is the greatest day of my life'. Tried to get a closer shot for all you ladies out there, but no luck. The tour guides weren't too happy with them.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Greg,
Wasn't blessed with any naked women sightings when I was there. Looked for it, but no success. Not sure what the Nfld reference is? Did you forget to hit the send button on your email again????

Nice work on the rare victory. You guys kind of sound like my Bruins.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Ryan D. MacIntyre said...

Pat Mc!!!
Welcome to the blog! Good to see you! The ex banker reference refers to the ex brain cells that I used to have....not that there was that many of them. Whatever was left, I think that I burned them somewhere in Colombia.

Do you think they'll create a midnight shift someday??? I think that I've become fully nocturnal. I used to tell Peter not to come into my office until after 10.00....I think that I'd have to move that back to 3.30ish.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home